Utilizing community-based social marketing techniques, MTN identified the resident behaviors that contribute to lagoon pollution and prioritized them based on which would result in the greatest reduction of pollution. A series of community surveys, focus groups and polls are continually conducted and analyzed. This ongoing analysis allows us to identify the barriers to adopting each behavior — and develop effective messaging to help overcome them.
MTN developed Brevard County’s Lagoon Loyal program (LagoonLoyal.com), which uses local business incentives to motivate residents to adopt pollution-reducing behaviors and report their lagoon-friendly actions to earn rewards.
The reward program is structured as follows:
The program incorporates various tools to overcome behavior change hurdles, motivate reporting, promote sharing, and sustain long-term interaction.
As an example, a participant could earn 5 Lagoon Loyal points for pledging to “Go Fertilizer Free” during the summer. Florida receives 80 percent of its rainfall during the summer. Heavy rain can wash fertilizer away from lawns and into storm drains that lead to the lagoon. By going fertilizer free during the summer rainy season (June 1 through September 30), residents could reduce the detrimental effects of excess fertilizer on our waterways — and earn 5 points that go toward exclusive discounts at local stores.
The platform is scalable to include additional pollution-reducing actions, new businesses and enhanced user experience opportunities.
MTN, Inc. grouped Lagoon Loyal program interaction tactics into the following categories:
- Lagoon Loyal member recruitment and retention
- Business recruitment and retention
- Topic-specific, behavioral-based strategies beneath fertilizer use, septic system maintenance, and stormwater pollution prevention.
Performance of each outreach tactic is measured and analyzed monthly based on the following goals:
- Education: Measured by increased web sessions, decreased cost per web session, decreased bounce rate, increase reach/impression, increased social media engagement.
- Commitment: Measured by increased Lagoon Loyal member sign-ups, business sign-ups, decreased cost per sign-up, increased social following, increased clicks.
- Motivation: Measured by increased Lagoon Loyal actions reported and decreased cost per action